Thursday, September 2, 2010

Psalm 139

 

 
Holy One, you know me from inside me.
           You know me in my doing
           and in my pure Being.
                      My thoughts are transparent to you.

You are my travels and changes,
           and what in me simply is, unchanging.
                      You have shared every step, every breath.

Before my mouth forms a word,
           before my mind forms the thought,
                      you see it, you watch it, you know it.

You enclose me, my atmosphere, my body;
           you precede me, and I echo in you.
                      I live inside your embrace.

This is too wonderful for me to comprehend.
           There's no way I can take it all in.

                      •

Where can I go that is not You?
           Where are you not present?
In the place of wonder and glory, there you are.
           In the place of abandonment and despair,
                      there you are.
If I try to be free of you
           and flee far away from you,
even there you accompany me;
           you hold me in your arms.
If I hide inside myself,
           buried in depression, wholly lost,
you see right through, clear as day:
           in you everything is translucent.

                      •

My mother, my womb, my artist,
           you handcrafted my soul and my cells—
                      wonder! awe! gratitude!
Grandmother, you knitted me so thoughtfully,
           every stitch a prayer.
The way you made me, I am your praise,
           your masterpiece,
                      the work of your genius.
You intended me,
           you created my inner being,
                      intricately wove me in the depths of the earth.
                      •

I want to be continually mindful
           of your wonderfulness in all things.

You see clearly
           what is only yet becoming in me.
Your love already has a hold
           on all that will ever become of me
                      before it unfolds.

Your thoughts are beyond mine:
           rational thought can't behold you;
                      only wonder.
Beyond all thoughts and words
           you are simply present.

                      •

O Love, set me free from what is not love.
           May I love that which sets me free.

Free me from all bitterness,
           my desire to control,
                      my desire to get my own way.
Purify my love, O Love,
           and my courage to stay faithful
                      in the face of resistance.

Examine me, O Truth, and know me from inside.
           Expose my true thoughts.
Confront everything that strangles my love
           and set me free to live in the Way of Life.




 
 
Deep Blessings,
Pastor Steve

_______________________________
Copyright © Steve Garnaas-Holmes
Unfolding Light
unfoldinglight.net

No comments:

Post a Comment