Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Pageant

O Christmas saints, come gather here
         in my Bethlehem:
         let the miracle unfold in me.

Come, Gabriel, interrupting angel,
         and tell the innocent Virgin within me
         that she shall bear holiness into the world.

Come, dreams, and haunt me with the courage
         to marry the blessing I would spurn.

Come, tender Joseph, and walk with me
         along this road of not knowing.

Come, natal star, build your nest in my darkness,
         and guide me to seek, and keep seeking.
Mark my life with your promise
         that beauty may be found here.

Come, magi, from your wanderings,
         and teach me to follow;
         teach me to behold.

Come heavenly choir, breathing wonder:
         Astonish my routine. Awaken me.
Send me into this village
         looking, looking.

Come, shepherds and all who are shabby and shady,
         and show me how to recognize glory
         swaddled in the mundane.

Come, Holy Child, and be alive in me,
         wordlessly, helplessly
         drawing out all my love.

O Christmas miracle,
         come to the the little shed of my life;
enfold me in your strangeness
         and make me a house of wonder.




______________________
Copyright © Steve Garnaas-Holmes
Unfolding Light
www.unfoldinglight.net

No comments:

Post a Comment