Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Today




Dearly Beloved,

Grace and Peace to you.



My mind keeps wanting to jump ahead to Lent, but today is not Lent. Time will come for self-examination and repentance, for fasting in the desert and marching the Via Dolorosa. Yes, and time will come for crocuses and alleluias and warm, sunny days. But not today. It's Shrove Tuesday. Mardi Gras. Carnival. The Day of Not Yet Lent. It's today. It's beginning to snow. I will not ask this day to be what it is not yet, and it will not ask me to be who I am not yet. We will both be ourselves, this day and I. What is not yet is unfolding within us, but only here in the present moment. Last night I watched the sun settle in its nest of twigs and branches in the bare trees. This morning snow settles there, silent and calm. I stand still and watch. I reach out, and the universe falls into my hand.



Deep Blessings,
Pastor Steve



_______________________________

Copyright (c) 2010

Steve Garnaas-Holmes
unfoldinglight(at)hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment